Tuesday, November 5, 2013

From The Beautiful Town of Sedona


As I write this, I am sitting in front of a roaring fire in a beautiful rustic cabin nestled deep in the woods of Sedona Arizona.  The air is crisp and cool- perfumed with the familiar scent of the majestic Ponderosa Pine and the stately Arizona White Oak Tree.





I was ecstatic when we first started planning to take this trip.  Carlo, myself, Carlo's brother Gio & wife Krystle decided we were going to see what this "vortex" was all about.  We packed our bags, piled in the car, and started out on what would be an unforgettable road-trip.  We stopped at several places along the way enjoying the new sights and laughing non stop. 

My friends who love and respect me for who I am, not for who I've known or what I've done in life. If there is one thing I've learned in the last few years, true friends do not care what you have, or don't have - they care about you.  Friends I have lost over the years, were never friends to begin with. Quick to judge, to take sides, and to make fools of themselves. 

Sedona is an amazing location.  Gorgeous landscapes and colorful residents always willing to offer a kind "hello..." and offer up an interesting local anecdote.  We traveled to several of the popular vortex locations, and kept hearing the hardest one to get to was Cathedral Rock.  


Cathedral Rock is one of the most photographed sights in Arizona, soaring to a height of 4,921 feet.  It is considered a tough hike, short but very steep with patches of almost shear cliff side.  Although I am in the best physical shape I have been in years, to say I was a little apprehensive would be an understatement.


When we finally made it to the top of the great mountain the view from the top was breathtaking - figuratively and literally!!  The clouds had started to form and the the sun had started its long decent orchestrating the entire sky into a swirling mass of mandarin and deep purple.  The breeze cools my face and the smell of the desert pines is intoxicating.  Far off in the distance, one lone tree glowed like the brightest emerald you have ever seen.  It was almost as if this one tree was announcing to the world that we had made it - we were all alone at the top.  We came here to find the vortex of legend - and we came to find that and much much more.  The beauty around us was quietly exploding before our very eyes - and I began to realize this is what is sacred...  


As the old saying goes however, what goes up must come down and in this case going down was much more difficult than going up.  As you can see in the picture, there is almost no trail really, just a large crevice. But thanks to Carlo, my partner in crime - my best friend - and my partner, I made it down in one piece!! 


We were definitely sore the next day, but an experience like this happens once in a lifetime - as if all the stars were aligned and pointing us in the direction of amazement and discovery. 

Our trip is not over yet...  We still have many things to see, and tomorrow head to Jerome Arizona to experience a true "Haunted" town.  I will certainly update my blog to reflect our next adventure.  And thank you to Carlo Bautista for being the official photographer - and the biggest support I have!  


Carlo and myself say hello from Arizona!


I would like to end with my inspiration - Carlo - He said a most amazing thing to me... 

In the mountains there are only two grades: You can either do it, or you can't

"Don't fail now - fail tomorrow"







1 comment: